The Canberra Committee was one of the first committees to support the then Children's Medical Research Foundation in 1960, with its initial meeting attracting 50 women which included Mrs Betty Watson as the first President.
The committee is well known today for their Annual Luncheon which is held either at a country property, Government House or The Lodge, offering a superb luncheon prepared by the committee including their legendary home-made delicacies (featured in their “Petit Fours” cookbook).
The first Annual Luncheon was held in 1964 at “Michalago Station”, where the film “My Brilliant Career” was filmed. The luncheon has grown from a small garden party to a gourmet luncheon and shopping experience enjoyed by up to 700 guests.
Other fundraising activities held over the years include the glamorous Dinner Dance at the Hotel Canberra, door knock appeals, raffles, fashion parades, auction nights, art shows and open garden schemes.
Raffle Winners 7 August 2021
1. Cygnet custom made suit from Rodger Bartholomew Menswear valued at $950
Winner: Martin Lott, ticket 413992
2. Club Lime 6-month multi club membership valued over $650
Winner: Effie Vlandis, ticket 415047
3. Cataldo hairdressing and products valued at $500;
Winner: J. McGrath, ticket 414438
4. Go Vita Hamper valued at $500
Winner: David Stokes, ticket 413503
5. Phillips Air Fryer XL valued at $350
Winner: Foti Samios, ticket 414279
6. National Zoo & Aquarium, 2x Awesome Roarsome Tours valued at $310.00
Winner: Connie Vlahos, ticket 413780
7. Accommodation at Nishi Ovolo Hotel Canberra valued over $300;
Winner: Sharon Winks, ticket 413712
8. SOMM premium wine experience valued at $250;
Winner: Suzie Schofer, ticket 413592
9. High tea at Hotel Realm for 4 people valued at $200
Winner: S. Southell, ticket 413742
10. National Museum and National Portrait Gallery membership and cafe vouchers valued at $180
Winner: Chris Karabalis, ticket 415363